Tutorial: Timelapse Basics

10:01 AM 0 Comments




Ever wanted to give time lapses a go? Check out this video on how I created a timelapse of the St. Louis Gateway Arch.
A few additional things:
-Because I’m working in a 1920×1080 workspace, there really isn’t much of a reason for me to shoot a full 20MP image. That’s why I typically shoot small raw for time lapses. They’re smaller in file size and don’t bog down your system as much.
-Do your math before shooting! If you need a 10 second timelapse at 24 fps and you’re shooting 1 frame every 2 seconds, that means that you’ll need to shoot 240 frames. It also means you’ll be shooting for roughly 10 minutes. In any case, it’s always better to get more footage than you need.
-After the shoot, I import everything into lightroom, make my corrections to one image, then paste those settings to all the others.
-The more frames you shoot, the smoother your timelapse will be. In this example I shot 1 frame every second for 30 minutes. That gave me something like 1500 frames that I compressed into 10 seconds in the final composition.
If you have any questions please leave them in the comments.

JoshMcDarris

Josh is an independent DP, editor and motion graphics designer in Austin, TX. You can read more about him and check out his work at joshmcdarris.com

0 comments:

Copyright 2015 Josh McDarris. All rights reserved. Powered by Blogger.